This week we are going to review the Obstetrics section as it relates to abortions. Abortion is defined as artificially terminating a pregnancy. Procedures performed on the products of conception are coded to the Obstetrics section. Procedures performed on the pregnant female other than the products of conception are coded to the appropriate root operation in the Med/Surg section. For example, Amniocentesis is coded to the products of conception body part in the Obstetrics section. Repair of obstetric urethral laceration is coded to the Urethra body part in the Med/Surg section.
Coding Problems for this Week:
- Manually assisted spontaneous abortion.
- D&C following incomplete spontaneous abortion.
- Transvaginal abortion using vacuum aspiration technique.
- Character 1, Section: The first character is always 1, regardless of whether it is an abortion or delivery of an infant.
- Character 2, Body System: There is only one valid character value for character 2; 0 for Pregnancy.
- Character 3, Root Operation: There are 12 Root Operation in the Obstetrics section, two of which are unique to this section:
- Abortion (character value A): Abortion is subdivided according to whether an additional device such as an abortifacient or laminaria is used or whether the procedure was performed by mechanical means. If either an abortifacient or laminaria is used, the Approach is Via Natural or Artificial Opening. All other abortion procedures are those done by mechanical means (the products of conception are physically removed using instrumentation) and the device value is Z, No Device.
- Delivery (character value E): Assisting the passage of the Products of Conception from the genital canal. This Root Operation applies only to manually-assisted vaginal deliveries.
- Character 4, Body Part. There are three Body Part values:
- Products of Conception
- Products of Conception, Retained
- Products of Conception, Ectopic
Problem#1, Manually assisted spontaneous abortion
To Locate: PCS Index > Delivery > Products of Conception > 10E0XZZ > Locate table 10E and go across the row to verify that the procedure given in the Index is correct:
Delivery of Products of Conception, External Approach
Problem #2, D&C following incomplete spontaneous abortion.
To Locate: PCS Index > Extraction > Products of Conception > Retained > 10D1 > Locate table 10D and go across the row to finish building the code:
Extraction of Products of Conception, Retained, Via Natural or Artificial Opening
Problem #3, Transvaginal abortion using vacuum aspiration technique.
To Locate: PCS Index > Extraction > Products of Conception > Vacuum > 10D07Z6 > Locate table 10D and go across the row to verify that the code given in the Index is correct:
Abortion of Products of Conception Vacuum, Via Natural or Artificial Opening