O64.1XX0 (Obstructed labor due to breech presentation)
Z37.0 (Single live birth)
Z3A.41 (41 weeks of gestation of pregnancy)
10D00Z1 (Extraction of products of conception, low cervical, open approach)
- O64.1XX0: Index > Delivery > complicated by > obstructed labor > due to > breech presentation > O64.1 > go to the tabular to complete code > 7th character required for the number of gestations (single versus multiple) but you wouldn’t know this unless you verified the code in the tabular
- Z37.0: Index > Outcome of delivery > single > liveborn
- Z3A.41: Pregnancy > weeks of gestation > 41 weeks
- 10D00Z1: Px index > Cesarean Section > see Extraction, Products of Conception > Low Cervical > 10D00Z1 > go to table 10D and verify that the code given in the index is correct:
- O64.1XX0: Because a 7th character is required and the code given is 4 characters in length, assign two placeholders. Note that the 7th character of 0 is for single gestations. Also note that in ICD-9-CM, two codes are required to report obstructed labor due to breech presentation, but in ICD-10-CM a combination code covers both the obstructed labor and the breech presentation.
- Z37.0: 4th characters indicate whether the outcome was single or multiple and whether it is a liveborn or stillborn.
- Z3A.41: Codes from category Z3A are for use, only on the maternal record, to indicate the weeks of gestation of the pregnancy. Code first any complications of pregnancy. At the beginning of chapter 15, there are instructions on how to code weeks of gestation.
- 10D00Z1: In ICD-10-PCS, a full-term fetus is assigned the character value of 0 for products of conception. Products of conception refer to all components of conception including fetus, embryo, amnion, umbilical cord and placenta. Extraction is defined as “Pulling or stripping out or off all or a portion or a body part.”