K80.00: Calculus of gallbladder with acute cholecystitis without obstruction
0FT44ZZ: Resection of gallbladder, percutaneous endoscopic approach
To Locate Codes:
- K80.00: Index > Calculus > gallbladder > with > cholecystitis > acute > verify in Tabular
- 0FT44ZZ: Px Index > Resection > Gallbladder > 0FT4 > locate table 0FT and go across the row to finish building the code:
You can also build the code by going directly to the appropriate table. Identify the section (Med/Surg), the body system (Hepatobiliary), and the root operation (Resection). NOTE that the root operations are listed alphabetically. This gives you the values for the 1st 3 characters, 0FT and puts you in the correct table. To assign the 4 remaining values for characters 4-7, you must identify the body part, the approach, devices and qualifiers, if any:
- Body part – Gallbladder, with a value of 4
- Approach – Percutaneous endoscopic, with a value of 4
- Device – No device, with a value of Z
- Qualifier – No qualifier, with a value of Z = 0FT44ZZ.
The only value that I want to draw to your attention to is the approach, character #5. Approach is defined as the technique used to reach the site of the procedure. The procedure was performed via a laparoscope, i.e., percutaneous endoscopic approach. This approach is defined as entry, by puncture or minor incision, of instrumentation through the skin or mucous membrane and any other body layers necessary to reach the site of the procedure. When you see the approach described as laparoscopic in any procedure, the value will always be 4 in the Med/Surg. Section.