M51.26: Other intervertebral disc displacement, lumbar region
0SB20ZZ: Excision of lumbar disc, open approach
- M51.26: Index > Hernia, hernial > intervertebral disc or cartilage > see Displacement, intervertebral disc > lumbar region
- 0SB20ZZ: PCS Index > Excision > Disc > Lumbar Vertebral > 0SB2 > locate table 0SB and go across the row to assign the remaining characters:
Feedback for 0SB20ZZ:
- Resection versus Excision: If a partial organ removal has been performed in the past, and a procedure is performed to completely remove the remaining remnants of the organ, the root operation ‘resection’ is coded. An ‘excision’ is coded when only a part of the organ is removed and there is a portion left behind. An intervertebral disc is composed of a tough outer ring (anulus fibrosus), and a soft central portion (nucleus pulposus). A diskectomy involves removing the nucleu pulpous but leaving the anulus fibrosus intact. Therefore, this is an excision – only a portion of the disk was removed.
- Approach: Since an incision was made to access the disc, it is considered open.
- Body Part: Upper bones and upper joints in ICD-10-PCS are defined as bones and joints above the level of the lumbar vertebrae, plus the upper extremities. Lower bones and lower joints in ICD-10-PCS are defined as bones and joints below the level of the lumbar vertebrae, plus the lower extremities.