Last week we reviewed the Placement section. Services performed in this section do not require puncture or incision and the approach is always external. This week we are going to continue our review by coding three more problems from the placement section.
Problems for this week:
- Sterile dressing to face wound.
- Cervical traction using a traction apparatus.
- Removal of stereotactic head frame.
Problem #1, Sterile dressing to face wound.
To Locate: PCS Index > Dressing > Face > 2W21X4Z: Locate table 2W2 and go across the row to verify that the code is correct:
Dressing of face using bandage
- Any device that remains on the person following the procedure is coded. A bandage is considered a device.
Problem #2, Cervical traction using a traction apparatus
To Locate: PCS Index > Traction > Neck > 2W62X > locate table 2W6 to verify character 6 and to assign 7th character:
Traction of neck using traction apparatus
- Traction is defined as exerting a pulling force on a body region in a distal direction.
Problem #3, Removal of stereotactic head frame.
To Locate: PCS Index > Removal > head > 2W50X > locate table 2W5 and go across the row to verify characters 4-5 and to assign characters 6-7:
Removal of other device on head
- “Other Device,” character 6 is assigned a value of Y because removal of a stereotactic head frame was not an option.